I think Lasagna is one of the best all time comfort foods. Give me a slice of garlic bread, a salad, a glass of wine and a square of lasagna and I am all set. It is just the perfect meal whether you need something nice or something warm. Simply fix lasagna and everyone is full, happy and with this recipe gets an extra vegetable in their diet as well. Lasagna with Eggplant makes me feel a little healthier about eating and eggplant goes great with the Italian flavors already in the sauces of this dish. And Red Gold is celebrating the comfort of lasagna this winter by encouraging folks to make their own home-made gourmet lasagna.
Starting today through February 3rd, twice a week they will be giving away a Le Creuset Lasagna pan, a Simple Gourmet Lasagna Kit, Red Gold Spatual, Garfield Toy, Coupons and aprons. Just visit their facebook page to enter.
And one lucky reader here will also win their very own Red Gold Lasagna making prize pack, later in this post. But for now lets check out my recipe for Lasagna with Eggplant.
1 Large Eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup water
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1 (16 oz) box lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 (15 oz) carton low fat ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large mixing bowl combine water, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning.
2. Cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan with 1 1/2 cups of sauce mixture.
3. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles on top of the sauce.
4. Top with 1/2 of the eggplant, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce.
5. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and remaining sauce.
6. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
7. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, when noodles are cooked.
8. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
And now on to the giveaway. Red Gold will send one lucky reader a gift pack of tomatoes, lasagna noodles, tote, apron, coupon and recipes to make your own homemade Lasagna. Simply click on the rafflecopter widget below for you chance to enter. Contest runs 1/13 through 1/19/15. Winner will be announced on this blog on January 20th and notified via e-mail. Winner has 48 hours to claim their prize or risk forfeit.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Big thanks to Red Gold for sponsoring this meal and giveaway. Please note all pictures and opinions expressed on this blog are my own.