I have blogged before about how great Turkey Ole' is to make with leftover Turkey after the holidays, but today I'm going to show you how to make it as a freezer meal and just how inexpensive this meal can be.
First up the cost..... Now, I'm not going to account for the price of the turkey itself, because like I mentioned this is great to use for leftovers and chances are you would have bought the turkey for a previous meal, so this recipe is a bonus use for the meat.
8 flour tortillas $1.00
2 cups shredded cheese $2.00
1 can enchilada sauce $ .75
1 can tomato paste $ .61
1 pkg. taco seasoning $ .70
total: $5.06 or $1.27 per serving
And then I'm also guessing you already have paper towels, aluminium foil and gallon sized ziplock bags on hand, so we won't figure those into the cost either.
Ingredients:4 cups shredded turkey
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 12 oz can enchilada sauce
1/4 cup water
1 T. Taco Seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (whatever variety you prefer)
1. Place turkey in a greased slow cooker or use a crock pot liner.
2. Add tomato paste, enchilada sauce, water and taco seasoning.
3. Stir well.
4. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
5. Place a couple of spoonfuls of turkey mixture onto tortilla shell.
6. Sprinkle a couple Tablespoons of cheese on top of turkey mixture.
7. Roll up tortilla and enjoy.
When you are ready to eat you can take however many you want to eat out of the bag and unwrap the aluminum foil. Place wrapped turkey ole' in the paper towel in your microwave and do 90 seconds on one side, flip over and do 90 seconds on the other side and you have a quick and easy dinner.