My blog posts this week are two fold in that they allowed me to review the new holiday Gooseberry Patch Cookbook "Slow Cooker Christmas Favorites" and they allowed me to make some crock pot freezer meals to have on hand this winter. I doubled the recipes to make one to enjoy now and one to freeze and enjoy later.
First up I made a Turkey & Wild Rice Soup. I love that this soup sticks to your ribs and is perfect for those cold winter nights. It is packed full of vegetables and the seasonings give it a nice herb flavor. Serve it with some fresh baked bread your family will be happy to enjoy a cozy evening at home.
First up the recipe......
6 slices of bacon, coarsely chopped
1 lb. turkey, cut into bite sized chunks
1 T. dried onion flakes
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
2 (14 oz) cans of chicken broth
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/4 cup wild rice, uncooked
1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
2. Stir in turkey, and heat for about 3-5 minutes, then drain and place in greased crock pot.
3. Add vegetables, soup and broth.
4. Mix together until smooth.
5. Add seasonings and rice.
6. Cover and cook on high setting for 30 minutes.
7. Stir and reduce heat to low setting; replace cover and cook for 6 to 7 hours or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Makes 6 servings.