I can safely say I never dreamed I'd be using canning jars to bake bread in. Let alone use canning jars to bake bread in a crock pot, but here I am. I was flipping through the pages of the new Gooseberry Patch Slow Cooker Fall Favorites cookbook and saw these autumn recipes for bread baked in the crock pot. And while some of the recipes are baked right in the crock pot a couple of the recipes were baked in canning jars in the crock pot giving you nice sized loaves to eat, freeze or give away as gifts. So with a little hesitation I mixed up the batter, poured it into wide mouth jars, covered and baked and as you can see below the bread turned out great. They turned out so great, that I am baking up crock pot canning jar bread loaves all week long and sharing the recipes here on the blog. And at the end of the week I'll be giving away a copy of this brand new cookbook.
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 T. oil
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup chocolate chips.
1. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice; mix well and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar and oil; beat until well blended.
3. Beat in eggs; add pumpkin and mix well.
4. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.
5. Mix well; stir in chocolate chips.
6. Spoon batter evenly into 2 greased 1/2 pint wide mouth canning jars; cover tightly with aluminum foil.
7. Place jars on a trivet in a slow cooker.
8. Cover and cook on high setting for 1 1/2 hours, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 9. Remove jars to a wire rack and cook for 10 minutes. 10
Remove loaves from jars; cool completely. Makes 2 small loaves.