And here is my 2nd crock pot bread in a jar recipe for.... Apple Cinnamon Bread. If you'll recall this week I'm baking bread in canning jars in my crock pot to keep my kitchen nice and cool here in the summer months. And the recipes are out of the new Gooseberry Patch Slow Cooker Fall Favorites Cookbook. Be sure to check back tomorrow for another recipe and then at the end of the week we will be giving a copy away to one lucky Latte' Drinker (aka reader).
These little loaves are the perfect size and idea for a small gift basket. To make the package more appealing simply wrap the loaf in wax paper and tie a ribbon around it. Pair it with a jar of homemade Crock Pot Apple Butter and a little spreader, place in a basket and your friend or neighbor will love the thoughtfulness of this gift and the tastiness of it as well.
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T. butter (softened)
1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
1 apple (peeled, cored and diced)
(optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts)
1. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; mix well and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, butter, eggs, applesauce and apple.
3. (Stir in nuts at this time if you are using them.)
4. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture and mix until moistened.
5. Evenly spoon mixture into 2 greased and floured wide-mouth canning jars.
7. Cover jars with aluminum foil.
8. Place jars in a slow cooker; pour 1/2 cup warm water around jars.
9. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, until a toothpick tests clean.
10. Remove jars from slow cooker.
11. Let cool for 10 minutes before turning out loaves.
Makes 2 loaves.
Please note I used pint sized wide mouth canning jars.