Another day without an oven here at the Ott house and another crock pot recipe to share. This recipe is for Winter Barbecued Chicken. And for those cold snowy nights when you are stuck inside and yet dream of warmer days and backyard grill outs... then this recipe is for you!!! The BBQ flavors of this dish will simmer in your crock pot all day and you'll think this chicken came straight off the grill. Enjoy this dish with some cornbread and vegetables and I think you'll find it chases the winter blues away.
And I'm happy to share that this is yet another recipe out of Gooseberry Patch's 101 Super Easy Slow Cooker Recipes, which you will be able to win a copy of this cookbook next week, right here on the blog.
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 lbs chicken
1/2 cup cola
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T. cider vinegar
1 lemon sliced
(optional: 2 T. bourbon)
1. In a bowl, stir together seasonings.
2. Place chicken pieces in a slow cooker and sprinkle with seasoning mixture; toss to coat.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients except lemon.
4. Pour color mixture over chicken, place lemon slices on top.
5. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 - 7 hours, until chicken juices run clear.
6. Remove chicken to a serving platter and discard lemon.
7. Spoon Sauce in slow cooker over chicken.
Serves 6 to 8.