Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Kale Pesto Pasta
Off the Cuff and INDYpendent, shared it with me a few years back and although its taken me this long to get around to making it, it is now one that I'm sure we'll make again and again because of how healthy it is and yet still great tasting.
1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp. salt
1/2 pound kale
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
dash of pepper
1 pound cooked, diced chicken
1/2 pound whole wheat pasta.
1. Toast chopped walnuts in a dry skillet over high heat, stirring occassionally until they start to brown and become fragrant.
2. (watch closely as they turn quickly).
3. In a large pan on the stove bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
4. Add salt and kale.
5. Cook, uncovered, until tender (about 10 minutes).
6. Remove from heat and drain.
7. In a food processor add garlic, walnuts, kale and puree.
8. Pour in oil as it continues to puree'.
9. Once smooth pour pesto into a bowl and add cheese and pepper and stir by hand.
10. Prepare pasta and stir 1 Tablespoon of pesto per serving of pasta.
11. (While this recipe will make one cup of pesto you will probably use only a few tablespoons of it with your pasta.)
12. Top with chicken and serve.