Next I drilled a couple of larger holes in the bottom of the gourd. This is so if rain gets inside the gourd it can run on out and not bother the nest.
After that it was time to pain the gourd. I used acrylic paint and painted white and yellow flower petals around the center of the hole. I then used a sponge and sponged brown paint around the hole for the center of the sunflower.
Butterflies, Gourds & More. She recommended a small bottle of exterior/interior water base varnish from a hobby store. So I found this can of Modge Podge and following Ann's instructions I gave the Gourd 3 coats (one coat a day for 3 days so it had plenty of time to dry in between.) And just like Ann said, it would smell bad so I did it out in the garage so it was well ventilated.